Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Book Talk: Reviews by Young Readers

Today I’m excited to launch a new series called BookTalk: Reviews by Young Readers. Join me on Wednesdays and each week we’ll have a new young reader weighing in on what they’ve been reading and their thoughts. We’ll be reviewing chapter books and middle grade and young adult novels. Here’s another opportunity to hear what our readers like and dislike and why.

To kick off BookTalk, I’m thrilled to have ten-year-old Analise Flatt, an avid reader and budding book publicist, with us to review two books. Welcome, Analise! 



Review - The movie book tie-in Judy Moody & the Poop Picnic by Jamie Michalak (Candelwick Press, 2011) which was inspired by the Judy Moody Books by Megan McDonald 

This is a very exciting book! You never know what’s going to happen next. My favorite part of the story was when Aunt Opal, Judy Moody and her brother, Stink, lost the map to the cemetery so they got lost and ended up at this old amusement park. Judy ate her sandwich that had Big Foot poop on the back because she didn’t see it. I hope you get to experience the fun of reading this book.



Review -  The movie book tie-in Judy Moody & the Thrill Points Race by Jamie Michalak (Candelwick Press, 2011) which was based on the Judy Moody books by Megan McDonald 

In this book, it tells you about all the exciting things Judy Moody did to earn thrill points over the summer, such as: trying to tightrope walk, riding on a roller coaster, and going to a scary movie. My favorite part was when Frank threw up on Judy. I hope you get to read this book too!

Thanks, Analise!! And now for a little Q&A. Here we go!

Q&A

What drew you to the Judy Moody books? Was the release of the movie Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer a motivating factor?

AF: I saw a Judy Moody book at my school library. I thought I should try reading it so I did. I liked it so I started reading the series and now I love the Judy Moody books. I haven’t seen the movie yet but I really want to and will this summer sometime.

Who is your favorite character in the series and why?

AF: Probably Stink because he’s crazy, annoying, creative and like my brother.
What other books would you recommend that are similar to the Judy Moody books?

AF: I would recommend Junie B. Jones and Ramona & Beezus series because they are all girls who get into trouble and they have adventures doing it. 

               

How do you choose a book? Is it the cover art that catches your interest? A recommendation from a friend? A character? The jacket flap summary?

AF: I usually choose a book by its title and cover art and I will look at the back of the book’s summary.

Why do you like to read?

AF: Because reading takes you into a whole new world.
Do you have a favorite book you like to re-read? Why is it your favorite?

AF: I have a lot of books I like but I would re-read the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books a lot of times. I like them because they’re funny and the weird things that happen to Greg.

Do you go to the library? If so, what do you like about the library? Are libraries important to kids? Why?

AF: I love to go to the library! I like the library because there’s all these books to pick from. I think the library is very important to kids because you don’t have to pay for every book you get like at a bookstore. And, it’s a fun thing to go do.

Extra!

Marika Flatt, owner of the publicity firm PR by the Book, sat down with Megan McDonald while in New York attending BookExpo America. Check out PR by the Book’s blog to see Marika's interview “Author of Bestselling Judy Moody Series dishes on Gearing up for Movie Release.”


To read more books in the Judy Moody series by Megan McDonald, click on Judy Moody.    

No comments:

Post a Comment