Friday, February 3, 2012

Picture Book Review - Little Dog Lost: The True Story of a Brave Dog Named Baltic

When I picked up the only copy of Little Dog Lost: The True Story of a Brave Dog Named Baltic by Monica Carnesi (Nancy Paulsen Books, 2012) from BookPeople, I knew I was in for a real treat.

For one, the cover is inviting, inquisitive and yet peaceful. I particularly like the pale blue sky teamed with the deep rich blue of the sea and then there's Baltic afloat on an ice floe almost asking you if you want to hear his story. Yes! Yes, I do, I almost shouted in the store as I stood by the shelf and read the book from cover to cover.

"What an adventure!" is listed on the jacketflap inside the book and I couldn't agree more. And Carnesi does a magnificent job of weaving just the right amount of details on each and every page to tell this heart warming story of a little dog stuck on an ice floe on the Vistula River drifting out to sea and the heroic efforts taken to try and save him. It truly is a journey worth taking!

To hear more about how Monica Carnesi was inspired to write and illustrate this picture book click here to visit her blog. There you'll also see real life photographs of Baltic along with a YOUTUBE video capturing the daring rescue.

Also here's an excerpt from a review that appeared in the January edition of Horn Book.

"...Simple yet dramatic watercolor illustrations effectively convey the wintry setting; the ice-choked, freezing water; and Dog’s emotions, bewildered and forlorn on the ice, cheerful and contented after his rescue and adoption..." 

A book your children will continue to enjoy again and again. And a wonderful story to study for pacing and page turns.

Time to reorder Little Lost Dog, BookPeople! Maybe, I'll give them a gentle reminder when I visit to pick up the books I ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment